Monday, January 23, 2012

Rey and The Meaning of Life


I don't want to sound brash, to sound condescending or for my words to be without celebration. To wither away anything that could be taken away from what I'm about to explain through hubris and heavy-handedness. My racket is not the racket of those who believe the possess powers greater than other men; secular and spiritual alike. No, I wish merely to make a modest proposal.

I must thank you in advance if you've taken the time to click the link leading you to this posting, it's not every day that one comes across a claim such as mine without dismissing it with the skepticism that our world drives us to employ. Be wary, there are many who speak of this subject not in earnest, but in unfounded assertion. Perhaps I am no better, perhaps I am like those I have grown to scorn?

To say one has discovered the meaning of life, especially a man so far removed from the realm of transcendentalism and spirituality as I, would be met with revulsion. With apathy and just a not-so-subtle touch of bitterness at word's end. But one must ask themselves the meaning of "meaning."

The truth is, nothing has meaning unless we give it meaning. A rainbow is merely the refraction of sunlight through water vapor. However, in Italy the rainbow has become a symbol of peace. Christians cite from the pages of Genesis, that the rainbow is God's promise that He shall never again flood the earth, and is in turn a sign of trust from this of many other "creators." Perhaps this could be lacking in literalism or context, but the image is the same sharp contrast of colors coming together; the symbolism in the image is the same.

So it should go, that in the understanding that words, places, things, people have only the meaning we give to them. So now I must ask, vice assert, the question "Is life impervious to the meaning we give it?" Must life have a solid, concrete and objective meaning when we arbitrarily assign meaning to all that we encounter within it? To some, it may not seem so arbitrary, but in the scope of things how is it not?

Now I ask, given that the meaning of life is the meaning we give to it and all things within it, why not choose the meaning to be a positive one? That life can be a most wonderous and eventful thing? That it means to cherish all within the time that we have it? Why not that?

I suppose, in summary, I'm merely asking that instead of finding the meaning, we give the meaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment