Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Oh I'm Back, and I Ain't Happy

As you may have noticed, I've been away for quite a while taking care of other things on the writing front, namely my upcoming book, random crappy poetry for a dead-in-the-water poetry jam that never saw the light of day until it was buried in the backyard. It's times like these that being a freelance writer can be a hassle, a tragedy, a solid-pain-in-the-ass.

So here I am back into the rotation, and boy am I angry about it. Not that I don't enjoy you, the readership, and what I do. But it's taking strides to make what I enjoy an career that puts me on the brink of mass murder.

Being a freelance writer is not a glamorous gig, don't let anyone lie to you about it. If the allure and mystique of sitting in a room chugging coffee and screaming at a computer monitor all day sounds like fun, you're probably in Human Resources, and you need to be checked out by a doctor. But more than that, I notice a lot of writers who discuss freelance writing make it seem like a satisfying hell when it's a full-time career, but no one tells you what it's like when it's part time. Because when it's part-time, it's "prime time" havoc on your ego.

You see, most people mark their levels of success by what they wish to accomplish and how close they are to their respective goals. So when you apply the logic that the best way to look for a job is to have a job, you find yourself torn between your responsibilities to the two. I wish this post could be more than a line of lame excuses, but unfortunately this is not it.

More to come in the coming days, unless more opportunities arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment